Destroy Marketing Bureaucracy
Marketing bureaucracy has been part of the problem in the past; and it is clearly not part of a future solution. Instead, corporate and business-unit executives should confront troubling questions about the attrition of marketing competence and find ways to restore it.34
Webster has identified the basic requirements for developing a market-driven, customer-focused business.35 These requirements are as follows:
• Customer-oriented values and beliefs supported by top management.
• Integration of market and customer focus into the strategic-planning process.
• The development of strong marketing managers and programs.
• The creation of market-based measure of performance.
• The development of customer commitment ...