Now revised and updated, this classic book is still the definitive step-by-step guide to creating cutting edge print ads. It covers everything from how advertising works, how brand-building methodologies are changing, how to get an idea, and how copy and art should be crafted. It demystifies the advertising creative process, with page after page of practical, inspiring and often controversial advice from such masters as David Abbott, Bob Barrie, Tim Delaney, David Droga, Neil French, Marcello Serpa, and dozens more. Over 200 print ads and case histories reveal the creative processes at work in world-famous agencies in the US, UK, Asia and Australia. This new edition also includes an exclusive section featuring winning ads from the World Press Awards. No other book takes you on such a journey through the minds of advertising¿s creative leaders.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for Cutting Edge Advertising III
- The Cast
- With Special Thanks
- Dedication Page
- 1. Unconventional Wisdom
2. How To Find Your Voice
- Changing Consumer Attitudes Won’t Change Consumer Behaviour
- Awareness: A Warning
- And Let’s Not Forget Recall
- How Advertising Doesn’t Work
- How Advertising Does Work
- Research: Friend or Foe?
- Concept Testing
- A Different Drummer
- Risk and Responsibility
- Cutting Edge Voices
- Preparing to Leave the Comfort Zone
3. The Eight Greatest Lies You’ll Ever Be Told
- Lie No. 1: You Must Have a Unique Selling Proposition
- Lie No. 2: You Must Offer a Rational Benefit
- Lie No. 3: Humour Doesn’t Sell
- Lie No. 4: You Must Have a Memorable Slogan
- Lie No. 5: You Must Have a Logo in the Ad
- Lie No. 6: You Must Show the Product in the Ad
- Lie No. 7: Every Ad in a Campaign Must Look the Same
- Lie No. 8: Creative Ads Don’t Sell
- The One Creative Truth: Every Ad Must Have an Idea in It
- 4. The Creative Work Before The Creative Work
5. How To Get An Idea
- Is There an Idea in the Product Name or Logo?
- Is There an Idea in the Packaging?
- Is There an Idea in How the Product Is Made?
- Is There an Idea in Where the Product is Made?
- Is There an Idea in the Product’s History?
- Is There an Idea in the Product’s Old Advertising?
- Is There an Idea in Something That’s Happening Around You?
- Is There an Idea in Showing What Happens With the Product?
- Is There an Idea in Showing What Happens Without the Product?
- Is There an Idea in Showing What Happens With and Without the Product in the Same Ad?
- Is There even an Idea in Where the Ad will run?
- How to Get Better Ideas
- How to Know When Your Ideas Are Great
- 6. The Five Critical Choices
7. How To Craft Visuals
- What Does Art Direction Have to Do?
- When to keep it simple
- When to add another layer
- When to keep layering
- Is Less More?
- When Should You Stop Art Directing an Ad?
- Typography: A Question of Controversy
- SHOULD HEADLINES BE SET IN CAPS or should they be set in lower case?
- Illustration: When Should You Use It?
- Out With Incest
8. How To Creaft Copy
- Should Copywriters Develop Their Own Styles?
- How Shouldn’t Copy Be Written?
- What Should You Know About Writing?
- How Should Headlines Be Written?
- How Should the Copy Begin?
- How Should the Copy Continue?
- How Long Should the Copy Be?
- Should the Last Line Reprise the Headline?
- Should Copywriters Be Involved in the Art Direction?
- Has Copywriting Ceased to Evolve?
- 9. The Global View
- 10. The Cutting Edge Agenda
- World Press Awards
- About the Author
- Title: Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World’s Best Print for Brands in the 21st Century, Third Edition
- Release date: December 2012
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780133412369
You might also like
The Brand Gap
THE BRAND GAP is the first book to present a unified theory of brand-building. Whereas most …
Model Business Letters, Emails and Other Business Documents, 7th Edition
For anyone who wants to communicate effectively in business, this is your complete reference guide for …
The Principles of Beautiful Web Design, 3rd Edition
The Principles of Beautiful Web Design is the ideal book for people who can build websites, …
Smashing Logo Design: The Art of Creating Visual Identities
The ultimate guide to Logo Design from the world's most popular resource for web designers and …