Successful cyberattacks can damage your organisation, no matter who is behind them
The goals of the cyberterrorist, the cybercriminal, the cyberactivist and the state-sponsored hacker may not be the same – but the outcomes can be equally devastating. Each can cause serious challenges for your organisation, ranging from information theft and disruption of normal operations to loss of reputation or credibility.
Cyber security is much more than technology
Many books on cybersecurity focus on technical responses to these threats. As important as this is, human fallibility and other known vulnerabilities will still allow hackers to easily break into a system that has not taken account of these factors.
CyberWar, CyberTerror, CyberCrime and CyberActivism encourages cybersecurity professionals to take a wider view of what cybersecurity means, and to make the most of international standards and best practices to create a culture of cybersecurity awareness within their organizations that complements their technology-based defences.
A cyber aware workforce equals better security
This second edition takes a deep look at the changing threats in the cyber landscape, and includes an updated body of knowledge that describes how to acquire, develop, and sustain a secure information environment that goes beyond technology. This enables you to move towards a cyber aware organisational culture that is more robust and better able to deal with a wider range of threats. Related references, as well as recommendations for additional reading, are included at the end of each chapter making this a valuable resource for trainers, researchers and cybersecurity practitioners.
Order this book today and see how international standards can boost your cyber defences
About the author
Dr Julie Mehan is the Founder and President of JEMStone Strategies and a Principal in a strategic consulting firm in the State of Virginia. She has delivered cybersecurity and related privacy services to senior commercial, department of defence and federal government clients working in Italy, Australia, Canada, Belgium, and the United States. Dr Mehan is also an Associate Professor at the University of Maryland University College, specializing in courses in Cybersecurity, Cyberterror, IT in Organizations and Ethics in an Internet Society.
Table of contents
- About The Author
- Chapter 1: Technology Is a Double-Edged Sword
Chapter 2: Cyber Attack: It’s A Dangerous World for Information Systems
- CyberEspionage (and Information Exfiltration) – It’s midnight; do you know where your data is?
- Social Media – an opportunity and a challenge
- Supply Chain (In-) security
- The blended threat
- The asymmetric effects of cyber attacks
- Porous perimeters, compromisable software – or both?
- If we know about the vulnerabilities, why are exploits still successful?
- Chapter 3: The Human Factor: The Underrated Threat
- Chapter 4: Transition from an Environment of ‘FUD’ to a Standards-Based Environment
- Chapter 5: Establishing a Culture of Cybersecurity
- Chapter 6: Increasing Internationalism: Governance, Laws, and Ethics
- Chapter 7: Standards: What Are They and Why Should We Care?
- Chapter 8: From Reaction to Proaction: Applying Standards in an Environment of Change and Danger
- Chapter 9: Conclusion: Where Do We Go From Here?
- Appendix 1: Gap Analysis Areas of Interest
- Appendix 2: Standards Crosswalk
- ITG Resources
- Title: CyberWar, CyberTerror, CyberCrime and CyberActivism, 2nd Edition
- Release date: May 2014
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849285711
You might also like
CISSP, Second Edition
Duration Almost 26 hours of deep-dive training covering every objective in the latest (ISC)2 CISSP exam. …
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), 2nd Edition
18+ Hours of Video Instruction Learn everything you need to know to pass the Certified Ethical …
CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst CySA+ (CS0-001)
Over 21 hours of deep-dive training covering every objective in the CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst CySA+ (CS0-001) …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …