This chapter covers the following topics:
• Overview of the DNS architecture—how the DNS namespace is organized, what is a zone, and what resource records (RR) are
• The software and hardware components involved in the DNS resolution process, from the resolver to the DNS servers through DNS proxies and forwarders
• How the resolution process works
• The implications of configuring the DNS servers with multiple NS or A records
• Where to place the DNS servers in the enterprise network
• How to use DNS to distribute the load of application requests to multiple Data Centers
The domain name system (DNS) is a naming service; this chapter analyzes the use of DNS for the translation of domain ...