What is data governance? And what are the principles and techniques you can leverage as a business or IT professional to make data governance successful within your organization?
Data Governance will answer these questions and provide you with insights and approaches to improve the "data fitness" of your organization. Gain control of your data and assign responsible parties to ensure the data remains well-understood and protected, by applying the content within this book's six chapters:
- Chapter 1, Understanding Data Governance, looks at the broad definitions of data governance along with issues within data governance.
- Chapter 2, Owning Data Governance, looks at Ownership, Wider Perspectives, and Roles, and explores how transparent data governance can simplify the complexities of data ownership.
- Chapter 3, Data Confidence, explores using tools (e.g., standards, strategies, and policies) to clearly align business objectives with realistic IT deliverables and produce meaningful outcomes.
- Chapter 4, Getting Data Fit, covers the basic elements required to make data governance work for your specific organization. There are five steps required to achieve a basic level of data fitness and effective governance.
- Chapter 5, Approach and Stakeholders, covers various ways to implement data governance to ensure there are clear milestones and trigger points for key stakeholders to approve each phase. A data scorecard is introduced as a tool to help guide an organization through the data governance process.
- Chapter 6, A Case Study, concerns a fictitious company, D474, used to illustrate the various examples and scenarios for implementing data governance.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Understanding Data Governance
- Chapter 2: Owning Data Governance
Chapter 3: Data Governance Purpose
- What are the components within policy making?
- What do we mean by a data governance function?
- Setting the scene: How can data governance influence business strategy?
- Moving from siloed behaviors to data for the organization
- Clearly articulating the benefits of having richer data across the business
- Data confidence
- Data ethics
Chapter 4: Getting Data Fit
- The case of D474 and data governance using the 5-step method
- Step 1) a clear aspiration or high-level goal
- Step 2) developing principles from a clear strategy
- Establishing the strategic ambition
- What are data principles?
- Step 3) testing the strategy against current business practices to identify gaps
- Step 4) build out an operational plan for delivery
- Step 5) prototype different models and test thoroughly
- Establishing a data framework for governance
- What is a framework?
Chapter 5: Data Governance Stakeholders
- Data policy
- Data analysis
- Data quality and maintenance
- Data technical management
- Data privacy and security
- Data Governance Scorecard
- Approaches, practices, and methodologies
- Agile vs. Waterfall
- Conducting thought showers in a bunker
- Getting your core assumptions in order
- Data governance business drivers
- Stakeholders understanding the importance of data
- Blockers as stakeholders
- Data governance questions
- About metadata
- About blockchain
Chapter 6: D474: A Case Study
- D474 Scenario 1 – creating a data governance system
- Defining D474’s data governance benefits
- Data governance aligns to D474’s strategic vision
- Moving from siloed behaviors to enterprise data for the D474 business
- Ensuring data governance drives the policy of D474 data
- Informing D474 policy change through data quality
- Developing and delivery of common data standards for the D474 business
- Ensuring D474 data standards are managed, enforced, and continuously reviewed
- Driving up quality and value through streamlined data quality and data acquisition services for the D474 business
- Providing integrity assurance and enforcement through clear data governance and accountability across the business
- Mitigating strategic risks by exploiting data in more effective ways
- Clearly articulating the benefits of having richer data across the D474 business
- Scenario 2: D474 data governance in action
- Understanding the roles that different D474 actors play
- Developing data management tools for D474
- D474 Stakeholder Matrix
- D474 Data governance board template
- Title: Data Governance
- Release date: January 2019
- Publisher(s): Technics Publications
- ISBN: None