In this book, the authors introduce Decision Equity as a breakthrough, overarching metric that can help free marketing managers from their existing mental models, and provide avenues to efficiently convert the vast amounts of data at their disposal into powerful information to make informed long-term and short-term decisions about products, customers, markets, and overall business health. There are four key objectives that we wish to achieve through this book.
First, they to introduce the underpinnings of a new flow-based measurement and management process that can promote truly unshackled thinking both within the marketing function as well as at its interface with other functional areas. Second, they demonstrate how firms can win by learning to conceptualize and discover the linkages between marketing and related non-marketing actions and their ultimate marketplace and financial consequences. Third, they provide guidance for how marketing managers and CMOs can significantly improve the outcomes of their decisions by following a verification-based linkage discovery process to connect marketing actions to profits. And fourth, they provide evidence for the efficacy of verification-based thinking centered on the principles of Decision Equity from successful marketing interventions and implementations in well-known organizations.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
Part I: Competing by Verification
- Chapter 1: Harnessing the Power of Data
- Chapter 2: The Cost of Intuition-Based Decision Making
Chapter 3: Ten Questions to Ask Your Mental Models
- The Myth of One
- The Myth of Many
- Locus Focus: What Does It Pick Up Versus Leave Behind?
- This or Abyss
- Does the Model Have a Reverse Gear?
- Is the Model Forward Prescriptive or Backward Diagnostic?
- Data Analysis and Data Generation Process
- Objectives Versus Constraints
- Is the Model Synchronous With the Adoption Cycle?
- Half-Life of the Model
- Avoiding the Trap
- Chapter 4: Paradigm Cycles and Strategy Prisons
Part II: Decision Equity
- Chapter 5: The Ultimate Management Metric?
- Chapter 6: Understanding Decision Equity: A Flow-Based Approach
- Chapter 7: Linkage Analysis: The Engine That Powers Decision Equity
- Chapter 8: The Decision Equity Metric: Operationalization
- Part III: Pursuing Excellence Through Decision Equity
- Appendix: The “Analytical Tools” of Linkage Analysis
- Title: Decision Equity
- Release date: March 2011
- Publisher(s): Business Expert Press
- ISBN: 9781606491942