The concept of Smart Cities is accurately regarded as a potentially transformative power all over the world. Bustling metropolises infused with the right combination of the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, big data, and blockchain promise to improve both our daily lives and larger structural operations at a city government level. The practical realities pose challenges that a significant sector of the tech industry now revolves around solving.
Cut through the hype with Demystifying Smart Cities. In this book, the real-world implementations of successful Smart City technology in places like New York, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and more are analyzed, and insights are gained from recorded attempts in similar urban centers that have not reached their full Smart City potential. From the logistical complications of securing thousands of devices to collect millions of pieces of data daily, to the complicated governmental processes that are required to install Smart City tech, Demystifying Smart Cities covers every aspect of this revolutionary modern technology.
This book is the essential guide for anybody who touches a step of the Smart City process—from salespeople representing product vendors to city government officials to data scientists—and provides a more well-rounded understanding of the full positive and negative impacts of Smart City technology deployment. Demystifying Smart Cities evaluates how our cities can behave in a more intelligent way, and how producing novel solutions can pose equally novel challenges. The future of the metropolis is here, and the expert knowledge in the book is your greatest asset.
- Practical issues and challenges of managing thousands and millions of IoT devices in a city
- The different types of city data and how to manage and secure it
- The possibilities of utilizing AI into a city (and how it differs from working with the private sector)
- Examples of how to make cities smarter with technology
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. Introduction
- Part I. Understanding smart cities
Part II. Toward smarter cities
- 7. Architect with imagination: Could payphones show the way in an emergency?
- 8. Make innovation a habit: Why most innovation is like low-fat yogurt
- 9. Build the data refinery: Because cities run on data
- 10. Optimize data value, not just data quality: How to avoid another Mars Climate Orbiter disaster
- 11. Employ pragmatic idealism: Bridging the ivory tower and the trenches
- 12. Epilogue
- Back Matter
- Title: Demystifying Smart Cities: Practical Perspectives on How Cities Can Leverage the Potential of New Technologies
- Release date: December 2019
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484253779
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …