Embedded Systems with PIC Microcontrollers: Principles and Applications is a hands-on introduction to the principles and practice of embedded system design using the PIC microcontroller. Packed with helpful examples and illustrations, the book provides an in-depth treatment of microcontroller design as well as programming in both assembly language and C, along with advanced topics such as techniques of connectivity and networking and real-time operating systems. In this one book students get all they need to know to be highly proficient at embedded systems design.
This text combines embedded systems principles with applications, using the16F84A, 16F873A and the 18F242 PIC microcontrollers. Students learn how to apply the principles using a multitude of sample designs and design ideas, including a robot in the form of an autonomous guide vehicle. Coverage between software and hardware is fully balanced, with full presentation given to microcontroller design and software programming, using both assembler and C. The book is accompanied by a companion website containing copies of all programs and software tools used in the text and a ‘student’ version of the C compiler.
This textbook will be ideal for introductory courses and lab-based courses on embedded systems, microprocessors using the PIC microcontroller, as well as more advanced courses which use the 18F series and teach C programming in an embedded environment. Engineers in industry and informed hobbyists will also find this book a valuable resource when designing and implementing both simple and sophisticated embedded systems using the PIC microcontroller.*Gain the knowledge and skills required for developing today's embedded systems, through use of the PIC microcontroller.
*Explore in detail the 16F84A, 16F873A and 18F242 microcontrollers as examples of the wider PIC family.
*Learn how to program in Assembler and C.
*Work through sample designs and design ideas, including a robot in the form of an autonomous guided vehicle.
*Accompanied by a CD-ROM containing copies of all programs and software tools used in the text and a ‘student' version of the C complier.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- Introduction to the first edition
- Introduction to the second edition
- Section 1: Getting Started with Embedded Systems
- Section 2: Minimum Systems and the PIC 16F84A
- Section 3: Larger Systems and the PIC 16F873A
Section 4: Smarter Systems and the PIC 18F2420
- Chapter 13: Smarter systems and the PIC 18F2420
- Chapter 14: Introducing C
- Chapter 15: C and the embedded environment
- Chapter 16: Acquiring and using data with C
- Chapter 17: More C and the wider C environment
- Chapter 18: Multi-tasking and the real-time operating system
- Chapter 19: The Salvo real-time operating system
- Section 5: Where Can We Go from Here? Distributed Systems, Bigger Systems
- Appendix 1: The PIC 16 Series instruction set
- Appendix 2: The electronic ping-pong program
- Appendix 3: The Derbot AGV – hardware design details
- Appendix 4: Some basics of Autonomous Guided Vehicles
- Appendix 5: The PIC 18 Series instruction set
- Appendix 6: Essentials of C
- Title: Designing Embedded Systems with PIC Microcontrollers
- Release date: October 2006
- Publisher(s): Newnes
- ISBN: 9780080468143
You might also like
Using LEDs, LCDs and GLCDs in Microcontroller Projects
Describing the use of displays in microcontroller based projects, the author makes extensive use of real-world, …
Exploring Arduino, 2nd Edition
The bestselling beginner Arduino guide, updated with new projects! Exploring Arduino makes electrical engineering and embedded …
ARM-based Microcontroller Projects Using mbed
ARM-based Microcontroller Projects Using mbed gives readers a good understanding of the basic architecture and programming …
ARM-Based Microcontroller Multitasking Projects
Most microcontroller-based applications nowadays are large, complex, and may require several tasks to share the MCU …