2 LIFECYCLE TYPES AND THEIR RATIONALES
CONTENTS OF THIS CHAPTER
This chapter covers the following topics:
- introduction to system development lifecycles;
- what we mean by ‘system development lifecycle’;
- comparing linear and evolutionary approaches;
- lifecycles based on the linear approach;
- lifecycles based on the evolutionary approach;
- the impact of Agile;
- hybrid approaches;
- how to decide on an approach.
INTRODUCTION TO SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT LIFECYCLES
A system development lifecycle (SDLC) is a framework describing a process for understanding, planning, building, testing and deploying an information system. The process can apply to both hardware and software systems, as a system can be composed of hardware only, software only, ...