Plaza de la Revolución, Cuba’s political, administrative and cultural centre since 1959, was designed in 1952 under the Batista regime. Formerly the Plaza Cívica, it was renamed following Fidel Castro’s victory.
The sober monumental architecture wins no beauty prize, but the square is an important place. Here were held the first mass rallies after the revolution and festivities for the campaign against illiteracy in 1961. Military parades and official celebrations have often seen more than a million people gather, as speakers take their place on the podium next to the statue of José Martí.
A huge steel sculpture of Che Guevara adorns the ...