t City Hall
The Grand Parade was the site Cape Town’s founder Jan van Riebeeck selected for his first fort in 1652. The structure was levelled in 1674 and until 1821 the area was used as a parade and exercise ground for the troops. As buildings went up around the perimeter, greengrocers established fruit stalls, precursors of today’s weekday flea market. The site is now used as a car park and as an events venue.
Overlooking the Grand Parade is Cape Town’s imposing City Hall. Built in 1905 in the elaborate Italian Renaissance style, ...