Chapter 8. Building Images
Since all containers run off of an image, the art of building images becomes an essential part your toolset when building your docker infrastructure. Although the first concern when building an image is that the containers that run it work as expected, there are many other factors that become important when using these images in production settings:
- Do we trust this image? Where does it come from? Who build it? Does it contain any malware?
- Can we reuse it? Can we reconfigure it?
- How big is it? How difficult is it to deploy in 100’s of hosts?
- Is it going to grow over time? Does it store any runtime data?
- How do I collect the logs from it?
- Where do I put the secrets for it?
Not your father’s images
Docker images ...