When you start building applications with Docker, you’ll come up against two significant challenges: networking and service discovery. You can find many recipes for dealing with these tasks if you’re prepared to scrounge through a pile of blog posts.
In this short guide, author Michael Hausenblas, Developer and Cloud Advocate at Mesosphere, explains how networking and service discovery work in the Docker world, and provides a series of practical solutions for dealing with these challenges.
- Get an overview of Docker single- and multi-host networking
- Understand why service discovery and container orchestration (scheduling) are two sides of the same coin
- Explore technologies for service discovery, including ZooKeeper, Consul, Airbnb’s SmartStack, and Netflix’s Eureka
- Learn which orchestration solutions—such as Kubernetes and Apache Mesos—work best for your deployment
- Be prepared to experiment with different technologies until decent standards emerge
Table of contents
- 1. Motivation
- 2. Docker Networking 101
- 3. Docker Multihost Networking
- 4. Containers and Service Discovery
5. Containers and Orchestration
- What Does a Scheduler Actually Do?
- Vanilla Docker and Docker Swarm
- Apache Mesos
- Hashicorp Nomad
- Which One Should I Use?
- A. References
- Title: Docker Networking and Service Discovery
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491950944
You might also like
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …
Docker in Practice, Second Edition
Docker in Practice, Second Edition teaches you rock-solid, tested Docker techniques, such as replacing VMs, enabling …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …