When you start building applications with Docker, you’ll come up against two significant challenges: networking and service discovery. You can find many recipes for dealing with these tasks if you’re prepared to scrounge through a pile of blog posts.
In this short guide, author Michael Hausenblas, Developer and Cloud Advocate at Mesosphere, explains how networking and service discovery work in the Docker world, and provides a series of practical solutions for dealing with these challenges.
- Get an overview of Docker single- and multi-host networking
- Understand why service discovery and container orchestration (scheduling) are two sides of the same coin
- Explore technologies for service discovery, including ZooKeeper, Consul, Airbnb’s SmartStack, and Netflix’s Eureka
- Learn which orchestration solutions—such as Kubernetes and Apache Mesos—work best for your deployment
- Be prepared to experiment with different technologies until decent standards emerge
Table of contents
- 1. Motivation
- 2. Docker Networking 101
- 3. Docker Multihost Networking
- 4. Containers and Service Discovery
5. Containers and Orchestration
- What Does a Scheduler Actually Do?
- Vanilla Docker and Docker Swarm
- Apache Mesos
- Hashicorp Nomad
- Which One Should I Use?
- A. References
- Title: Docker Networking and Service Discovery
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491950944
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Site Reliability Engineering
The overwhelming majority of a software system’s lifespan is spent in use, not in design or …
Infrastructure as Code, 2nd Edition
Just five years ago, infrastructure as code was a new concept for many companies. Today, even …
Microservices Patterns teaches you how to develop and deploy production-quality microservices-based applications. This invaluable set of …