The decade which began in July 1997 saw a global financial system that generated more wealth for more people for a much longer period of time than any other in financial history.
But ten years later, in a seemingly sudden move, there was a flight of capital and a collapse of the global banking system. What went wrong? Did anyone see it coming? What lessons can we learn from this?
And is it really all that bad?
Fooled Again is not a history book, but it looks at the history of recent financial management, mismanagement, extraordinary risk and greed, flows of global capital and international toxic balance sheets to identity the key lessons to be learned from the global financial crisis.
Taking a considered and long-term view, Meyrick Chapman gives an immensely readable and insightful view of what really happened and shows us why not all crises are bad, and why the events of 2008 and 2009 may ultimately benefit us.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Common features of financial crises, and why we don’t see them coming
- 3 Did the Asian crisis teach us nothing?
- 4 Loving the dollar: lessons from the greatest ever flood of capitall
- 5 How central banks lost their grip
- 6 Going fishing: lessons of financial innovation
- 7 In God We Trust: banks and their errors
- 8 De-rated: how ratings agencies and regulations failed
- 9 The politics of housing
- 10 Why it’s not all bad: the costs and benefits of financial crises
- 11 What lessons for the future?
- Title: Don't be Fooled Again
- Release date: September 2013
- Publisher(s): Pearson Business
- ISBN: 9780273745167
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
Hands-On Data Structures and Algorithms with Kotlin
Understand and solve complex computational problems and write efficient code with Kotlin Key Features Learn about …
Learn Data Structures and Algorithms with Golang
Explore Golang's data structures and algorithms to design, implement, and analyze code in the professional setting …