1. This will improve after publication of this book, because other operating systems include the newer features.
3. The DTraceToolkit now needs updating to catch up!
1. DTrace is short for Oracle Solaris Dynamic Tracing Facility.
2. This feature list is from Dynamic Instrumentation of Production Systems (Cantrill, Shapiro, and Leventhal, 2005).
3. Of course, DTrace can be used across the entire system’s spectrum—development, QA, test, and so on.
4. This often-used phrase to describe DTrace was first used by Bryan Cantrill, the coinventor of DTrace.
5. On FreeBSD, this probe was
proc:::exec_success and is now being updated to
proc::: exec-success ...