In this book, Paul Clarke argues that in order to live sustainably we need to learn how to live and flourish in our environment in a manner that uses finite resources with ecologically informed discretion. Education is perfectly placed to create the conditions for innovative and imaginative solutions and to provide the formulas that ensure that everyone becomes naturally smart; but to achieve this, we need to recognise that an education that is not grounded in a full understanding of our relationship with the natural world is no education at all. In other words, a total transformation of schools and schooling is needed.
While acknowledging that the ecological crisis is global in scale, Paul Clarke maintains that many of the solutions are already evident in our local communities. Drawing on innovative sustainable living programmes from around the world, including Sweden’s Forest Schools, China’s Green Schools programme, the US Green Ribbon Schools programme and his own school-of-sustainability project, Paul Clarke offers practical solutions about how schools and communities can make their contribution.
This book examines how we might proceed to empower and actively develop schools and communities to connect hand, heart and mind for an eco-literate future. It is thought provoking, timely and challenging, and should be read by school leaders, community and business leaders, as well as anyone grappling with the problems of transition from an industrial past to an ecologically sustainable future.
Table of contents
- Front Cover
- Education for Sustainability
- Title Page
- List of figures and tables
- Foreword: Growing communities
- Prologue: Imagine an alternative
- Exploration One Rethinking our relationship with the environment
- Exploration Two Is education fit for purpose if the purpose is sustainable living?
- Exploration Three How can community help schools to live with uncertainty?
- Exploration Four Open source living: When sustainability is the way of life
- Exploration Five Can we create schools of sustainability?
- Exploration Six The urban fix: Sustainable cities, sustainable minds
- Exploration Seven Our great work: education for sustainability.
- Title: Education for Sustainability
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781136487675
You might also like
Organizational Culture and Leadership, 5th Edition
The book that defined the field, updated and expanded for today's organizations Organizational Culture and Leadership …
Connect First: 52 Simple Ways to Ignite Success, Meaning, and Joy at Work (Audio Book)
Business psychologist, advisor, and consultant to organizations across six continents, Dr. Melanie Katzman provides 52 proven …
Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Capturing a wealth of experience about the design of object-oriented software, four top-notch designers present a …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …