This chapter explains how to use various research methods to discover consumers’ preferences. It also discusses why a company needs to know the consumers at an appropriate level. Specifically, it answers the following questions:
• What kind of research data are needed for standardized advertising and targeted advertising?
• What kind of research data are needed for individualized advertising?
• What are the two ways of incorporating consumers’ preferences in individualized advertising?
• Why does a company need to know the consumers well for its advertising purpose?
• Why cannot a company know the consumers too well for its advertising purpose?
Knowing Consumers’ Preferences Is Critical ...