This chapter considers
• the functions of the sales department and the responsibilities and attributes of its personnel
• the sale of time to local, regional, and national advertisers
• research methods and the uses of research in sales
A broadcast station serves two kinds of customers:
• Audiences, which tune to a station to hear or view its programs and which make no direct payment for the product (i.e., programs) they receive. As we have seen, obtaining audiences is the responsibility of the program department.
• Advertisers, who gain access to those audiences with information on their products and services by purchasing advertising time. Obtaining advertisers is the responsibility of the sales department.