Boost your programming skills by learning the next-generation functional programming language and web framework
About This Video
- Boost programming skills through a different mode of thinking
- Think in terms of an alternative programming language
To become a professional-level programmer, you need to learn different types of language. Everyone knows Object Oriented Programming but few people realize they need to learn a Functional Programming language that scales well in distributed computing! Elixir is one such language. It's a fairly young language but has gained immense popularity in the past couple of years—it's the language of the future. Learning Elixir and its web framework Phoenix means you will gain this high-demand job skill for the near future.
In this course, we will start from scratch with Elixir and then move on to Phoenix, the next-generation web framework that is set to replace a lot of Ruby, Django, PHP, and even Node deployments. The course assumes that you've had some basic programming experience before. If you know a bit of Python (just the basics: if, while, for, lists, dictionaries, and tuples) or Java, you'll be all set.
We aim to give you a feel for the rhythm behind Elixir and Phoenix so that you are in a position to understand its underlying philosophy and use it to your advantage. We will quickly cover the fundamentals of the Elixir language. Similarly, we will cover different aspects of Phoenix in a way that is both quick and efficient instead of spending many hours explaining simple concepts.
All the code files are placed at https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Elixir-and-Phoenix-Real-World-Functional-Programming
Downloading the example code for this course: You can download the example code files for all Packt video courses you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this course elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the files e-mailed directly to you.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Getting Started with Elixir
- Chapter 2 : Elixir Language Basics
Chapter 3 : Code Modularity / Thinking in Elixir
- Introduction to Modules 00:05:17
- Pattern Matching for Function Definitions 00:04:51
- Guards in Function Definitions 00:04:12
- Anonymous Functions and Default Values 00:04:57
- The Awesome Pipe Operator 00:08:33
- Loops and Recursion 00:07:30
- File Handling 101 00:03:25
- Require, import and Elixir Structures 00:07:16
- Concurrency Basics 00:04:22
- Chapter 4 : Phoenix Setup
- Chapter 5 : Phoenix and MVC Basics
Chapter 6 : Message Passing
- Message Passing and PubSub 00:14:57
- Chapter 7 : Ecto and Phoenix: Database Connectivity
- Chapter 8 : Authorization and Session Management
- Chapter 9 : Protection Your Web App
- Title: Elixir and Phoenix: Real World Functional Programming
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781838550837