National Society of
Professional Engineers (NSPE)
Code of Ethics for Engineers
Engineering is an important and learned profession. As members of
this profession, engineers are expected to exhibit the highest standards of
honesty and integrity. Engineering has a direct and vital impact on the quality
of life for all people. Accordingly, the services provided by engineers require
honesty, impartiality, fairness, and equity, and must be dedicated to the
protection of the public health, safety, and welfare. Engineers must perform
under a standard of professional behavior that requires adherence to the
highest principles of ethical conduct.
I. FUNDAMENTAL CANONS
Engineers, in the fulfillment of their professional duties, shall:
1. Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public.
2. Perform services only in areas of their competence.
3. Issue public statements only in an objective and truthful manner.
4. Act for each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees.
5. Avoid deceptive acts.
6. Conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully so
as to enhance the honor, reputation, and usefulness of the profession.
Appendix-P088531.qxd 2/17/06 8:03 AM Page 203