After studying Unit III, students will be able to:
- Define the concept of ecosystems.
- Describe the structure and function of an ecosystem.
- Identify producers, consumers and decomposers.
- Define Energy Flow in the ecosystem as well as terms such as Ecological Succession, Food Chain, Food Web and Ecological Pyramids.
- Describe the types of ecosystems and their characteristics.
- Identify the structure and function of the forest ecosystem, the grassland ecosystem, the desert ecosystem, and the aquatic ecosystems such as ponds, streams, lakes, oceans and estuaries.
3.1 Concept of Ecosystem
Life is found in the biosphere on this planet and the species interact with their biotic and non-biotic components. The study ...