Understand and implement VMware Virtual SAN: the heart of tomorrow’s Software-Defined Datacenter (SDDC)
VMware’s breakthrough Software-Defined Datacenter (SDDC) initiative can help you virtualize your entire datacenter: compute, storage, networks, and associated services. Central to SDDC is VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN): a fully distributed storage architecture seamlessly integrated into the hypervisor and capable of scaling to meet any enterprise storage requirement.
Now, the leaders of VMware’s wildly popular Virtual SAN previews have written the first authoritative guide to this pivotal technology. You’ll learn what Virtual SAN is, exactly what it offers, how to implement it, and how to maximize its value.
Writing for administrators, consultants, and architects, Cormac Hogan and Duncan Epping show how Virtual SAN implements both object-based storage and a policy platform that simplifies VM storage placement. You’ll learn how Virtual SAN and vSphere work together to dramatically improve resiliency, scale-out storage functionality, and control over QoS.
Both an up-to-the-minute reference and hands-on tutorial, Essential Virtual SAN uses realistic examples to demonstrate Virtual SAN’s most powerful capabilities. You’ll learn how to plan, architect, and deploy Virtual SAN successfully, avoid gotchas, and troubleshoot problems once you’re up and running.
Understanding the key goals and concepts of Software-Defined Storage and Virtual SAN technology
Meeting physical and virtual requirements for safe Virtual SAN implementation
Installing and configuring Virtual SAN for your unique environment
Using Storage Policy Based Management to control availability, performance, and reliability
Simplifying deployment with VM Storage Policies
Discovering key Virtual SAN architectural details: caching I/O, VASA, witnesses, pass-through RAID, and more
Ensuring efficient day-to-day Virtual SAN management and maintenance
Interoperating with other VMware features and products
Designing and sizing Virtual SAN clusters
Troubleshooting, monitoring, and performance optimization
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Introduction to VSAN
- Chapter 2. Requirements
- Chapter 3. Install & Configure
- Chapter 4. Storage Policy Based Management
- Chapter 5. Management & Maintenance [This content is currently in development.]
- Chapter 6. Architectural Details
- Chapter 7. Troubleshooting, Monitoring & Performance [This content is currently in development.]
- Conclusion [This content is currently in development.]
- Glossary of Terms [This content is currently in development.]
- Title: Essential Virtual SAN (VSAN): Administrator’s Guide to VMware® Virtual SAN
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): VMware Press
- ISBN: 9780133855036