People with inborn talent may be good at what they do—but only the mentally tough reach the highest plateaus in their field. And here’s the best news of all: mental toughness is something anyone can learn.
Director of mental training for the St. Louis Cardinals and a top-tier executive coach, Dr. Jason Selk knows everything there is to know about developing the mental toughness required for achieving any goal you set for yourself. In fact, the techniques he outlines in this book are the same ones he used to help the Cardinals defeat the heavily favored Detroit Tigers in the 2006 World Series.
Inspired on the vision of legendary basketball coach John Wooden, Selk’s program is as simple as it is effective. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy. You have to put effort into your drive to success; it’s the only way to build up your mental “muscles.” Selk provides hands-on daily exercises for breaking old, self-defeating patterns of behavior and replacing them with the can-do attitude and positive behavior that would make Coach Wooden proud.
Executive Toughness outlines the three fundamentals for attaining high-level success:
ACCOUNTABILITY—admit to mistakes, correct them, and, most important, learn from them
FOCUS—on your strengths, on winning, on reaching your goal . . . for only 100 seconds per day
OPTIMISM—don’t just believe you can succeed, know you can succeed
Executive Toughness takes you through the steps of making these critical behaviors part of your everyday routine. Practice your accountability, focus, and optimism, and you’ll be on the path to attaining your goals; make them part of your mental “DNA,” and there will be no turning back—ever.
A complete regimen from a leading expert on developing the mindset for attaining goals, Executive Toughness is your workout for ultimate success in your career and in your life.
Table of Contents
- Opener 00:00:21
- Foreword by Andy Hill 00:06:58
- Preface 00:09:55
- Introduction 00:34:28
- FOUNDATION OF MENTAL TOUGHNESS: Chapter 1: Define Your Win 00:18:43
- Chapter 2: Turn Up Your Thermostat 00:25:21
- DEVELOPING EXECUTIVE TOUGHNESS CHARACTERISTIC 1: Chapter 3: The Process of Achievement 00:35:41
- Chapter 4: Prioritizing the Priorities 00:27:36
- Chapter 5: Accountability Through Self-Evaluation 00:35:39
- DEVELOPING EXECUTIVE TOUGHNESS CHARACTERISTIC 2: Chapter 6: Preparation 00:33:11
- Chapter 7: Script Your Way to Focus 00:21:56
- Chapter 8: The Mental Workout 00:30:26
- DEVELOPING EXECUTIVE TOUGHNESS CHARACTERISTIC 3: Chapter 9: Relentless Solution Focus 00:35:25
- Chapter 10: Gable Discipline 00:25:15
- Conclusion 00:24:14
- Notes 00:00:43
- Title: Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance (Audio Book)
- Release date: November 2011
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071810715