Experience-centered design, experience-based design, experience design, designing for experience, user experience design. All of these terms have emerged and gained acceptance in the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Interaction Design relatively recently. In this book, we set out our understanding of experience-centered design as a humanistic approach to designing digital technologies and media that enhance lived experience. The book is divided into three sections. In Section 1, we outline the historical origins and basic concepts that led into and flow out from our understanding of experience as the heart of people's interactions with digital technology. In Section 2, we describe three examples of experience-centered projects and use them to illustrate and explain our dialogical approach. In Section 3, we recapitulate some of the main ideas and themes of the book and discuss the potential of experience-centered design to continue the humanist agenda by giving a voice to those who might otherwise be excluded from design and by creating opportunities for people to enrich their lived experience with and through technology.
Table of contents
- Photo Credits
I What is Experience-Centered Design?
- How Did We Get Here?
Some Key Ideas Behind Experience-Centered Design
- The Seeds of an Experience-Centered Design
- Experience-Centered Design's Association with Dewey's Pragmatism
- Technology as Experience (1/2)
- Technology as Experience (2/2)
- Doing Experience-Centered Design
II Doing Experience-Centered Design
- Making Sense of Experience in Experience-Centered Design
- Experience-Centered Design as Dialogue
- What do We Mean by Dialogue?
- Valuing Experience-Centered Design
Where Do We Go from Here?
- Some Personal Stories
- Designing Things that Matter
- Experience, Technology, and Democracy
- Conclusion: Experience-Centered Design and the Humanist Agenda
- Doing Research in Experience-Centered Design
- Bibliography (1/2)
- Bibliography (2/2)
- Authors' Biographies
- Title: Experience-Centered Design
- Release date: January 2010
- Publisher(s): Morgan & Claypool Publishers
- ISBN: 9781608450459
You might also like
UX for Beginners
Apps! Websites! Rubber Ducks! Naked Ninjas! This book has everything. If you want to get started …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Go from zero to hero with Git source control, step-by-step with easy to understand examples. About …