Analysts often spend 50-80% of their time preparing and transforming data sets before they begin more formal analysis work. This video tutorial shows you how to streamline your code—and your thinking—by introducing a set of principles and R packages that make this work much faster and easier. Garrett Grolemund, Data Scientist and Master Instructor at RStudio, demonstrates how R and its packages help you tackle three main issues:
- Data Manipulation. Data sets contain more information than they display. By transforming your data, you can reveal a wealth of descriptive statistics, group level observations, and hidden variables. R’s dplyr package provides optimized functions to help you transform data, as well as a pipe syntax that makes R code more concise and intuitive.
- Data Tidying. Data sets come in many formats, but R prefers just one. R runs quickly and intuitively when your data is stored in the tidy format, a layout that allows vectorized programming. R’s tidyr package reshapes the layout of your data sets, making them tidy while preserving the relationships they contain.
- Data Visualization. The structure of data visualizations parallels the structure of data sets. Once your data is tidy, visualizations become straightforward: each observation in your dataset becomes a mark on a graph, each variable becomes a visual property of the marks. The result is a grammar of graphics that lets you create thousands of graphs. R’s ggvis package implements the grammar, providing a system of data visualization for R.
Garrett Grolemund is a Data Scientist and Master Instructor at RStudio. Garrett maintains the lubridate R package and is the author of Hands-On Programming with R and the upcoming Data Science with R (both O’Reilly books).
Table of contents
- Data Manipulation
- Data Tidying
- Data Visualization
- Title: Expert Data Wrangling with R
- Release date: February 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491917046
You might also like
Hands-On Exploratory Data Analysis with R
Learn exploratory data analysis concepts using powerful R packages to enhance your R data analysis skills …
Introduction to Data Science with R
Learn practical skills for visualizing, transforming, and modeling data in R. This comprehensive video course shows …
R for Data Science
Learn how to use R to turn raw data into insight, knowledge, and understanding. This book …
Basic Statistics and Data Mining for Data Science
Data science is an ever-evolving field, with exponentially growing popularity. Data science includes techniques and theories …