Become a developer superhero and build stunning cross-platform apps with Delphi
About This Book
- A one-stop guide on Delphi to help you build cross-platform apps
- This book covers important concepts such as the FireMonkey library, shows you how to interact with the Internet of Things, and enables you to integrate with Cloud services
- The code is explained in detail with observations on how to create native apps for Ios and Android with a single code base
Who This Book Is For
If you want to create stunning applications for mobile, desktop, the cloud, and the Internet of Things, then this book is for you. This book is for developers who would like to build native cross-platform apps with a single codebase for iOS and Android. A basic knowledge of Delphi is assumed, although we do cover a primer on the language.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the basics of Delphi and the FireMonkey application platform as well as the specifics of Android and iOS platforms
- Complete complex apps quickly with access to platform features and APIs using a single, easy-to-maintain code base
- Work with local data sources, including embedded SQL databases, REST servers, and Backend-as-a-Service providers
- Take full advantage of mobile hardware capabilities by working with sensors and Internet of Things gadgets and devices
- Integrate with cloud services and data using REST APIs and scalable multi-tier frameworks for outstanding multi-user and social experience
- Architect and deploy powerful mobile back-end services and get super-productive by leveraging Delphi IDE agile functionality
- Get to know the best practices for writing a high-quality, reliable, and maintainable codebase in the Delphi Object Pascal language
Delphi is the most powerful Object Pascal IDE and component library for cross-platform native app development. It enables building natively compiled, blazingly fast apps for all major platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux.
If you want to build server-side applications, create web services, and have clear GUIs for your project, then this book is for you.
The book begins with a basic primer on Delphi helping you get accustomed to the IDE and the Object Pascal language and will then quickly move on to advanced-level concepts. Through this book, we'll help you understand the architecture of applications and will teach you the important concepts of the FireMonkey library, show you how to build server-side services, and enable you to interact with the Internet of Things. Towards the end, you will learn to integrate your app with various web services and deploy them.
By the end of the book, you will be able to build powerful, cross-platform, native apps for iOS and Android with a single code base.
Style and approach
This book will help you build cross-platform mobile apps with Delphi using a step-by-step approach.
Table of contents
- Fasten Your Seat Belts
- Mind Your Language
- Packing Up Your Toolbox
Playing with FireMonkey
- Drawing in code
- Get moving with timers
- The power of parenting
- Touch me
- Game of Memory
- FireMonkey in 3D
- Building User Interfaces with Style
Working with Mobile Operating System
- James Bond's toy
- What I'm running on?
- The life of an app
- Sensing the world
- Taking photos
- Using share sheets
- Camera, light, action!
- Working with address book
- Notify me!
- Navigating the web
- Working with maps
- Creating and consuming Android services
- Delphi language bridges
- Extending to the Internet of Things
- Embedding Databases
- Integrating with Web Services
- Building Mobile Backends
- Deploying to App Stores
- Enhancing your apps
- The Road Ahead
- Title: Expert Delphi
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786460165