Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is for entrepreneurs and small business owners—the makers, movers, and shakers in our world—interested in taking their businesses to the next level of growth through exports.
In the old days, creating an international business was left to relatively few--those with the wherewithal to move boatloads of goods into foreign countries. But now, thanks to the Internet, businesses of all sizes have a huge new opportunity to sell both goods and services globally. Yet only 1% of all U.S. businesses export. Why?
Typically, exporting begins with unsolicited inquiries from foreign customers on the web via email, website, blog, or posting on a Facebook page. People outside your country want your product, and they want it now. The problem is that most small business owners do not know how to service these inquiries. What's the best way to ship goods? Do I need a license? Should I sell through wholesalers in specific countries or directly to consumers? How will I get paid?
Help is here—Exporting equips you with the knowledge you need to market, sell, and fulfill orders internationally, taking full advantage of the Internet and the opportunities it creates. It also imparts a can-do spirit on exporting, leading to greater revenues, stability, and profitability for your business. Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably:
Lays out simple steps to conduct market research, find customers, open new markets, get paid, and ship goods and services.
Takes you through the exporting process via the Internet and other means.
Shows how to use social media to expand your international presence.
Provides insider tips and strategies to export efficiently and profitably.
Explains how the U.S. government helps exporters.
Walks readers through the export business plan.
With 70 percent of global buying power lying outside U.S. borders, exporting is not just an option for ambitious entrepreneurs--it’s an absolute must for building and sustaining a successful future.
What you’ll learn
Identify products and services that can be profitably exported.
Use the Internet to facilitate all aspects of exporting, especially marketing.
Develop a clear strategy on how to export.
Export your product or service efficiently and profitably.
Find customers retail and wholesale customers globally, enter new markets, get paid, and ship.
Explore your best territory using statistics and market research.
Develop pricing and prepare documentation.
Leverage the Internet and social media—including using tablets and mobile phones—to boost your online exports.
Who this book is for
Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is for entrepreneurs and small business owners who are new to exporting and are ready to take their business to the next level of growth. It is also for those who currently export but are looking for new market insights and have a desire to expand into other countries. Finally, it is for those who know that the Internet and social media offer opportunities for exporters but want to see how to best leverage their skills with the newest technologies into greater sales and profits.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Apress Business: The Unbiased Source of Business Information
- Author Note
- About the Author
PART I: Building Your Foundations for Exporting
- CHAPTER 1: Are You Ready to Export?
- CHAPTER 2: Writing an Export Business Plan
- CHAPTER 3: Prepping For Exports
- CHAPTER 4: The Human Side of an Export Enterprise
PART II: Creating and Using Online Marketing Platforms
- CHAPTER 5: Online Fundamentals
- CHAPTER 6: Creating a Social Media and Networking Presence
- CHAPTER 7: Using e-Commerce and Social Media Sites as Stepping Stones to Export Success
CHAPTER 8: The E-Commerce Connectivity Craze
- The Future of Selling: The E-Commerce Revolution
- The Growing Scope of E-Commerce
- Why Do I Need a Stand-Alone E-Commerce Site?
- Selling in a Digital World: Business-to-Business, Business-to-Consumer, Consumer-to-Consumer, or Business-to-Government Experience?
- Finding a Manufacturer for the Product You May Want to Export
- Managing a Global Supply Chain
- Tips for Managing a Global Supply Chain
- Get to Know the Suppliers in Your Supply Chain
- Finding the Best E-Commerce Store for Your Business
- Factors to Consider
- Creating Your Own E-Commerce Platform
- The Ultimate E-Commerce Must-Have: Trustworthiness
- Measuring E-Commerce Success
CHAPTER 9: The Mobile World at Work
- Case Example: Low-Cost Internet Device Taking India by Storm
- Harnessing Mobile Business Opportunities
- The MAC Attack
- In Pursuit of Global Power: Mobile Will Overtake Desktop Access
- Getting Started: Create and Design a Great Mobile Web Site
- Valuable Business Tools: Using Apps and Cloud Storage
- CHAPTER 10: Marketing Your Business Worldwide
PART III: Mapping Out Your Export Journey
- CHAPTER 11: Choosing a Product to Export
CHAPTER 12: Exploring Your Territory
- Market Research—a Dreaded Chore, a Powerful Tool
- Get Yourself Organized
- Choosing Your Market—Pleasure, Profit, Competitive Advantage, or Challenge?
- Segmenting Your Product and Market
- Will Your Product Succeed in Your Market of Choice?
- Keep Your Search on Track
- Export Market Data: Where to Get It and How to Use It
- Creating an Action Plan
- CHAPTER 13: Preparing and Adapting Your Product for the Export Marketplace
CHAPTER 14: Preparing Your Service for Export
- How Technology Drives the Economy—by Fostering Competitiveness
- Exporting a Product vs. Exporting a Service: Is There a Difference?
- People Power Drives Your Service Exports
- Which Services Are Best for Export?
- Top Service-Export Destinations by Volume
- Financing a Service Export
- Planning for and Overcoming Market Barriers
- Seven Ways to Launch Your Service
- An Example of a Service Export: A Wildflower-Nursery Business that Also Exports a Service
- The Bottom Line: Maximizing Your Chance for Success
- CHAPTER 15: Web Design with the World in Mind
PART IV: Developing Sales and Distribution Capabilities
CHAPTER 16: Finding Cross-Border Customers
- Define Your Cross-Border Customers
- Making Customer Contacts—Composing Your Inquiry
- Gold Key Matching Service
- Other Helpful US Government-Sponsored Programs
- Business Intelligence Companies
- Other Ways to Snag Customers Worldwide
- Government-Sponsored Trade Mission
- Binational Societies, Councils, and Trade Associations
- Tap Local Clients for Their International Reach
- Find Customers Through Advertising
CHAPTER 17: Methods of Exporting
- Methods of Exporting
- Questions to Use for Deciding on the Method of Exporting
- In-Country Factors that Can Affect Your Distribution Choice
- Other Methods to Entering an Export Market: Collaborative Sales
- International Franchising
- Establishing a Foreign Office or Acquiring an Existing Company
- CHAPTER 16: Finding Cross-Border Customers
PART V: Managing the Transaction
CHAPTER 18: Transport, Logistics, and Fulfillment Options
- Air Transport
- Ocean Transport
- Shopping for an Economical Transport Package
- Break-Bulk and Container Loading
- The Global Freight Forwarder: Your One-Stop Transport Pro
- The Kings and Queens of International Shipping: UPS, FedEx, DHL, and TNT
- Third-Party Logistics and Fulfillment Centers
- Third-Party Suppliers
- Simple Methods to Improve Logistics and Boost Sales
- CHAPTER 19: Pricing and Preparing Quotations
CHAPTER 20: Getting Paid
- Traditional Payment Methods
- Red Flags
- Choosing a Payment Method—Factors to Consider
- Payment in Advance
- Letters of Credit—Security with Flexibility
- The Letter of Credit Process
- The Worst Method of Export Financing: Open Account
- Noteworthy Export Noncash Payment Considerations
- Export Financing Assistance
- Online Payment Methods: E-Commerce and M-Commerce
- CHAPTER 21: Booking, Marking, Labeling, and Insuring
- CHAPTER 22: Documentation, Export Licensing, and Other Procedures
- CHAPTER 18: Transport, Logistics, and Fulfillment Options
PART VI: Keep Building Your Business
- CHAPTER 23: In Pursuit of Exceptional Export Service
- CHAPTER 24: Cross-Cultural Learning
PART VII: The Export Journey
- CHAPTER 25: Global Ethics
- CHAPTER 26: International Business Travel and Security Tips
- CHAPTER 27: Women Business Owners
- CHAPTER 28: New Frontiers in Emerging Markets
- CHAPTER 29: The Top Ten Export Business Markets
- PART VIII: Export Mastery
- Title: Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably
- Release date: December 2013
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430257912
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Sixth Edition, 6th Edition
Learn electricity and electronics fundamentals and applications—all without taking a formal course This fully updated guide …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
An Introduction to Banking, 2nd Edition
A practical primer to the modern banking operation Introduction to Banking, Second Edition is a comprehensive …