1. What is an office package? List any four office packages.
Ans: An ‘office package’ (also called ‘office suite’) is a collection of productivity software or pro-
grams where each software is intended to perform some specialized operations. A number office soft-
ware packages are available in the market for different operating systems. Some examples of such
packages are as follows:
• Office package for Microsoft Windows: MS Office, WordPerfect Office and MS Works.
• Office package for DOS: Breadbox office and Corel WordPerfect for DOS.
• Office package for Mac: NeoOffice, MarinerPak and Microsoft Office for Mac.
• Office package for UNIX: AUIS and Siag Office.
2. What do you know about MS Office? What are the various components of MS Office?
Ans: ‘Microsoft Office’ (MS Office) is a commercial office suite of related applications, services and
servers for the Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. It was first launched by Microsoft
in 1989, and afterwards, several versions have been released. The current versions of MS Office are
Office 2010 for Microsoft Windows and Office 2011 for Mac OS X. However, MS Office 2003 is one of
the commonly used productivity suites, which was released by Microsoft on 21 October 2003.
Components of MS Ofﬁce
The ﬁrst version of MS Ofﬁce contained only three components including Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint. However, over the years, a number of new components have been
added to the suite. For example, the components of MS Ofﬁce 2003 include Word 2003, Excel 2003,
PowerPoint 2003, Outlook 2003, Access 2003, Publisher 2003, InfoPath 2003, Project 2003, Visio 2003,
FrontPage 2003 and OneNote 2003.
Introduction to Ofﬁce
M05_ITL-ESL4791_01_SE_C05.indd 88 12/22/2012 4:54:15 PM