The eagerly anticipated update to the bestselling first edition is here!
Facebook's popularity is seemingly unstoppable. The site experienced a huge boom in registered users in the latter half of 2008. It was at that time that Facebook also underwent a radical facelift and introduced numerous changes. Packed with hundreds of screen shots, this anxiously awaited new edition presents you with a thorough update on all the exciting changes to Facebook's interface since the first edition hit the shelves a mere one year ago.
Authored by two Facebook employees, Facebook For Dummies, 2nd Edition, features unique insight and insider knowledge of Facebook that can't be found anywhere else. You'll explore optimum ways to get familiar with Facebook, tips for representing yourself online, best practices for keeping connected, how to run a business on Facebook, and more.
Walks you through creating a profile, navigating the interface, and setting up privacy features
Explains how to find and add friends, fill out your profile, add applications, and upload photos
Discusses ways to join a network or group or use Facebook as a scheduler
Addresses using Facebook to promote your business and buy ad space on Facebook
Put your best face forward and dive in to all the exciting new features that Facebook offers!
Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- About the Contributor
- Authors' Acknowledgments
- Publisher's Acknowledgments
- About Facebook For Dummies
- Foolish Assumptions
- Conventions Used in This Book
- What You Don't Have to Read
- How This Book Is Organized
- Icons Used in This Book
- Where to Go from Here
I. Getting Started with Facebook
1. The Many Faces of Facebook
- 1.1. Figuring Out What Facebook Is Exactly
- 1.2. Discovering What You Can Do on Facebook
- 1.3. Keeping in Mind What You Can't Do on Facebook
- 1.4. Realizing How Facebook Is Different from Other Social Sites
- 1.5. Who Is on Facebook
- 2. Adding Your Own Face to Facebook
3. Finding Your Way Around Facebook
- 3.1. Checking Out the Blue Bar on Top
- 3.2. Exploring the Blue Bar on the Bottom
- 3.3. Discovering the Home Page
- 3.4. Looking at the Footer
4. Finding Facebook Friends
- 4.1. What Is a Facebook Friend?
- 4.2. Discovering the Facebook Friend Philosophy
- 4.3. Finding Your Friends on Facebook
- 4.4. Keeping Track: Friend List Management
5. Privacy and Safety on Facebook
- 5.1. Seeing the Win-Win of Privacy
- 5.2. Getting Familiar with Your Privacy Options
- 5.3. Taking Personal Responsibility for Safety
- 5.4. Remembering That It Takes a Village to Raise a Facebook
- 5.5. Peeking Behind the Scenes
- 1. The Many Faces of Facebook
II. Sharing Your Life on Facebook
6. Building Out Your Profile
- 6.1. "Wall" You Need Is Love
- 6.2. Getting the Lowdown on Info
- 6.3. Hello, Photos
- 6.4. Thinking Inside the Boxes
- 6.5. Profile-Building Strategies
- 6.6. Choosing Who Can See What
- 7. Streams
8. Filling Facebook with Photos, Videos, and Notes
- 8.1. Finding the Common Themes in Applications
- 8.2. Photos
- 8.3. Uploading Photos
- 8.4. Editing and Tagging Photos
- 8.5. Viewing Photos of You
- 8.6. Looking at the Profile Picture Album
- 8.7. Discovering Photos Privacy
- 8.8. Video
- 8.9. Notes
9. Keeping Up with Your Friends
9.1. Just between You and Me
- 9.1.1. Messages
- 9.1.2. Sharing is caring
- 9.1.3. Chat
- 9.1.4. Anatomy of Chat
- 9.1.5. Poke
- 9.1.6. Requests
- 9.1.7. Notifications
- 9.2. Public Displays of Affection: Comments, Publisher, and the Wall
- 9.1. Just between You and Me
- 6. Building Out Your Profile
III. Getting Organized
10. Creating and Joining Groups on Facebook
- 10.1. Getting Going with Groups
- 10.2. Finding the Group for You
- 10.3. Creating Your Own Groups
11. Scheduling Your Life with Facebook
- 11.1. Getting Going with Events
- 11.2. Finding the Event for You
- 11.3. Creating Your Own Events
12. Creating a Page for Your Business
- 12.1. Why Create a Facebook Page?
12.2. Creating and Managing a Facebook Page
- 12.2.1. Creating a page for your business
12.2.2. Making your page yours
- 188.8.131.52. Getting your bearings
- 184.108.40.206. Information
- 220.127.116.11. The Wall
- 18.104.22.168. Applications
- 22.214.171.124. Settings
- 126.96.36.199. Mobile
- 188.8.131.52. Admins
- 12.2.3. Promote your Page
- 12.2.4. Engage your fans
- 12.3. Know-It-All
- 10. Creating and Joining Groups on Facebook
IV. Delving Further into Facebook
13. Facebook and the Web
- 13.1. Understanding What Facebook Platform Is
- 13.2. Applications That Live on Facebook
- 13.3. Exploring Applications That Live Outside of Facebook
- 13.4. Discovering Other Applications
- 13.5. Finding Your New Favorite Application
- 13.6. Managing Your Applications
14. Facebook on the Go
- 14.1. Is That Facebook Mobile Web in Your Pocket . . . ?
- 14.2. Using Facebook Mobile Web
15. Facebook: A New Kind of Advertising
- 15.1. Realizing How Advertising Has Improved
- 15.2. Defining Social Ads
- 15.3. Creating a Social Ad
- 15.4. Managing Your Social Ads
- 15.5. Spam Is Not Delicious
- 13. Facebook and the Web
V. The Part of Tens
- 16. Ten Great Third-Party Applications
17. Ten Ways Facebook Uniquely Impacts Lives
- 17.1. Keeping in Touch with Summer Friends
- 17.2. Preparing to Head Off to School
- 17.3. Going on Not-So-Blind Dates
- 17.4. Meeting People in Your New City or Town
- 17.5. Reconnecting with Old Friends
- 17.6. Keeping Up with the 'rents
- 17.7. Keeping Up with the Kids
- 17.8. Facebooking for Food (or Jobs)
- 17.9. Goin' to the Chapel
- 17.10. Hey, Facebook Me!
18. Ten Questions That Leah and Carolyn Get a Lot
- 18.1. Is My Computer Infected with a Virus?
- 18.2. Do People Know When I Look at Their Profiles?
- 18.3. I Have a Problem with My Account — Can You Help Me?
- 18.4. What Do I Do with Friend Requests I Don't Want to Accept?
- 18.5. What's the Difference between Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and LinkedIn?
- 18.6. I Keep Getting Invites for Those App Thingies — Should I Accept Them?
- 18.7. How Do I Convince My Friends to Join Facebook?
- 18.8. What if I Don't Want Everyone Knowing My Business?
- 18.9. I Heard Facebook Owns Everything I Put on There — True?
- 18.10. Does Facebook Have a Feature That Lets Me Lock Myself Out for a Few Hours?
- 19. Ten True Facebook Tales
- Title: Facebook® for Dummies®, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2009
- Publisher(s): For Dummies
- ISBN: 9780470527610