Build social Flash applications fully integrated with the Facebook Graph API
Build your own interactive applications and games that integrate with Facebook
Add social features to your AS3 projects without having to build a new social network from scratch
Learn how to retrieve information from Facebook's database
A hands-on guide with step-by-step instructions and clear explanation that encourages experimentation and play
The Facebook platform provides you with an ideal solution for building rich, social experiences on the web to develop an effective user experience application. Combined with Flash which effectively enables social interactions, you can create a fully functional application on Facebook. If you've been waiting to get started with your own applications and games on Facebook, with this book you don't have to wait any longer.
This book takes you through everything you need to know to integrate your AS3 apps and games with Facebook accompanied by illustrative screenshots and short quizzes.It presents you with in depth coverage of the key underlying concepts such as creating a basic application that runs inside Facebook and exploring the Graph API which greatly simplifies how developers can retrieve data. This book also covers topics on security, permissions and authentication features on Facebook.
This beginner's guide starts off by teaching you about retrieving simple public data and then rapidly working your way up to authenticating users, building powerful searches across the entire database, and uploading photos and other content.
Throughout the book, you'll learn by building two fundamental components: an RIA Facebook interface and an AS3 SDK that you can drop into any project to add Facebook integration. This easy-to-understand guide has everything written as AS3-only projects with publicly available components, so you can follow along whether you use Flash Pro, Flex, or MXMLC – as long as you know AS3!
This hands-on tutorial will present you with a whole new perspective of the three core aspects of Facebook – searching, retrieving, and updating the data .This practical book focuses on how to set up an application on Facebook and how to deal with different contexts like AIR.
By the end of this book, you will be confident enough to set up your own application and create social interactions for users to share on Facebook.
Everything you need to know from integrating applications and games to searching, retrieving, and updating data on Facebook
Table of contents
Facebook Graph API Development with Flash
- Facebook Graph API Development with Flash
- About the Author
- About the Reviewer
- What's so great about Facebook?
- Web hosts
- How much AS3 knowledge is required?
- The source code
- A final note…
2. Welcome to the Graph
- Accessing the Graph API through a Browser
- Time for action - loading a Page
- Accessing the Graph API through AS3
- Time for action - retrieving a Page's information in AS3
- Time for action - deserializing a JSON object
- Time for action - visualizing the info
- Understanding connections
- Time for action - finding connections in a browser
- Time for action - rendering Lists of Posts
- Time for action - displaying a Graph Object's connections
- Time for action - creating an HTTP Requestor
- Understanding Connections of Connections
- Time for action - loading photos from an album
- Putting it all together
- Time for action - traversing the Graph
3. Let Me In!
- What can you see?
- Time for action - snooping through other people's accounts
- What's that got to do with the Graph API?
- Time for action - registering an application with Facebook
- Time for action - requesting an access token with the browser
- Authenticating with AS3
- Time for action - Using an access token in our Graph visualizer
- Time for action - authenticating through the application
- Extended permissions
- Time for action - obtaining extended permissions
- Time for action - requesting extended permissions
- Using the Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK for Facebook platform
- Time for action - implementing the SDK
4. Digging Deeper into the Graph
- Getting more results with paging
- Time for action - displaying the number of objects in a list
- Time for action - requesting more Objects
- Time for action - requesting more Objects at once
- Time for action - obtaining data in pages
- Time for action - adding limit and offset to GraphRequest instances
- Time for action - requesting data based on date
- Time for action - adding since and until to GraphRequest instances
- Time for action - filtering by date using the UI
- Time for action - using the ids parameter in a Graph URL
5. Search Me
- Using the website's Search box
- Time for action - examining quick search results
- Time for action - Using the Full Search results
- Searching with a Graph URL
- Time for action - searching without authorization
- Time for action - searching while authorized
- Time for action - implementing a Search window in the Visualizer
- Time for action - searching via the SDK
- Time for action - searching your news feed
- Time for action - searching a friend's Wall Posts
- Time for action - searching feeds through the Visualizer
6. Adding to the Graph
- Hello, Facebook!
- Time for action - posting to the user's feed
- Time for action - using the POST method
- Time for action - listening for errors
- Time for action - granting the required permission
- Time for action - posting via the SDK
- Going further with Wall Posts
- Time for action - publishing rich posts
- Posting to another Wall
- Time for action - posting to another Wall using the Visualizer
- Time for action - literally
- Time for action - setting a Post's privacy settings
- Deleting Graph Objects
- Time for action - deleting a Post
- Time for action - deleting Posts using the Visualizer
- Publishing other kinds of Graph Object
- What about...?
7. FQL Matters
- What is FQL?
- Understanding the FQL interface
- Getting information
- Time for action - retrieving info from the Page table
- What about connections?
- Time for action - getting a user's friends' names with AS3
- Time for action - an easier way
- Time for action - getting it down to one API call
- The Graph as a layer
- Advanced FQL
8. Finishing Off
- Putting it online
- Time for action - setting up an IFrame application
- Time for action - adding an application to a Page tab
- Time for action - authorizing through AIR with HTTP
- Time for action - authorizing through AIR with the SDK
- Time for action - authorizing on Android
- Getting your application out there
- Watch out for these policies!
- The Official AS3 Facebook SDK
- Other Facebook APIs
- Adobe Social service
- Related Technologies
- Brand new and coming soon
- Facebook developer resources
- Keeping up with the Zuckerbergs
- 9. Pop Quiz Answers
- Title: Facebook Graph API Development with Flash
- Release date: December 2010
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849690744