While many dismiss the fashion industry as frivolous, it's a very big, demanding, and profitable business—projected to create $3.75 trillion in revenues in 2016. Today's fashion industry has embraced big data analytics in every part of the product lifecycle. In this updated O’Reilly report, you’ll learn how fashion brands and startups alike are using data in shrewd ways that other industries would do well to incorporate.
By interviewing experts throughout the industry, Liza Kindred and Julie Steele reveal that fashion companies are finding ways to turn self-expression and identity—two things that are difficult to quantify—into actionable data. You’ll learn that fashion’s success in this endeavor is partly based on a willingness to pursue difficult data techniques, such as visual search and natural language processing.
This report also explores:
- The challenges of using algorithms to predict style preferences
- How fashion companies are using natural language processing
- What startups are doing to capture structured data from photographs
- How companies are digitally tackling the fit of menswear
- The value in using in-store smart fixtures to collect and share data
Liza Kindred is the founder of fashion tech think tank Third Wave Fashion, editor of Third Wave Magazine, the world’s first print magazine dedicated to fashion tech and wearables, and the author of the upcoming O’Reilly book How We Buy Now.
Julie Steele is Director of Communications at Silicon Valley Data Science and coauthor of Beautiful Visualization and Designing Data Visualizations (both O’Reilly).
Table of contents
- 1. Fashion: What Has It Done for You Lately?
- 2. Trends in Fashion Data
3. Addressing the Challenges
- The Only Constant Is Change
- Geography as a Shorthand for Style
- Humans, Meet Machines
- Natural Language Processing
- All About that Algorithm
- Curation, Discovery, and Inspiration—versus Algorithms
- Visual Search: Oh No, You Didn’t
- Mining Menswear
- 4. Fashion Forward
- 5. What’s Next?
- 6. Conclusion
- Title: Fashioning Data: A 2015 Update
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491931097
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Multivariate Time Series Analysis and Applications
An essential guide on high dimensional multivariate time series including all the latest topics from one …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
The Big Book of Dashboards
The definitive reference book with real-world solutions you won't find anywhere else The Big Book of …