HR leaders and practitioners: master the financial analysis skills you need to become true strategic business partners, gain an equal seat at the table, and get boardroom and CFO buy-in for your initiatives! In this one-of-a-kind book, Dr. Steven Director covers everything mid-to-senior-level HR professionals need to formulate, model, and evaluate their HR initiatives from a financial perspective. Drawing on his unsurpassed expertise working with HR executives, he walks through each crucial financial issue associated with strategic talent management, including quantifiable links between workforces and business value, cost-benefit analyses of HR and strategic financial initiatives, and specific issues related to total rewards programs, including stock, stock options, and pension costs. Unlike other finance books for non-financial managers, Financial Analysis for HR Managers focuses entirely on core HR issues. Director helps you answer questions such as: How do you model HR's financial role in corporate strategic initiatives such as the introduction of a new product line? How do you select bonus drivers to send the right signals to managers (and uncover suboptimal hidden signals you might be sending now)? How do you design compensation packages that are fully consistent with your goals? How do you identify and manage pension-finance costs and risks that can dramatically impact the long-term financial health of the business? HR leaders and aspiring leaders are under unprecedented pressure to provide credible, quantitative answers to questions like these. This is the one and only book that will help them do so.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- 1. Business Strategy, Financial Strategy, and HR Strategy
- 2. The Income Statement: Do We Care About More Than the Bottom Line?
- 3. The Balance Sheet: If Your People Are Your Most Important Asset, Where Do They Show Up on the Balance Sheet?
- 4. Cash Flows: Timing Is Everything
- 5. Financial Statements as a Window into Business Strategy
- 6. Stocks, Bonds, and the Weighted Average Cost of Capital
- 7. Capital Budgeting and Discounted Cash Flow Analysis
8. Financial Analysis of Human Resource Initiatives
- Decisions Involving Cash Flow That Occur at Different Points in Time
- Allocating Budgets When There Are a Larger Number of Alternatives
- Calculating NPV of Specific HR Initiatives
- Determining Program Impacts Using Pre-Post Changes
- Determining Program Impacts Using Comparison Groups
- What Is Your Firm’s HR Budget?
- Is Your HR Budget Allocation Optimal?
- Maximizing the ROI on Your Analysis Efforts
- 9. Financial Analysis of a Corporation’s Strategic Initiatives
10. Equity-Based Compensation: Stock and Stock Options
- How Do Stock Options Work?
- What Is the Intrinsic Value of an Option? What’s the Time Value of an Option?
- Are Options High-Risk Investments?
- Do Employees Prefer Options or Stock?
- Understanding the Inputs to the Black-Scholes Model
- Firms Must Disclose the Methods and the Assumptions They Use to Cost Stock Options
- Using Monte Carlo Simulation to Determine the Value of Employee Stock Options
- Dilution, Overhang, and Run Rates
- Equity Compensation Is One Tool for Aligning Executive and Shareholder Interests
- 11. Financial Aspects of Pension and Retirement Programs
- 12. Creating Value and Rewarding Value Creation
- Title: Financial Analysis for HR Managers: Tools for Linking HR Strategy to Business Strategy
- Release date: December 2012
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780132996792
You might also like
Applying Advanced Analytics to HR Management Decisions: Methods for Selection, Developing Incentives, and Improving Collaboration
Dramatically improve human capital management decisions by applying advanced analytics and "Big Data" technologies and processes! …
A Manager's Guide to Financial Analysis
Financial analysis is the key to smarter business decisions. It helps companies chart the best course …
The Business Model Book
Business models are the beating heart of your firm's value proposition. Great business models drive rapid …
Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life, Second Edition
Use better thinking to empower yourself, discover opportunities, avoid disastrous mistakes, build wealth, and achieve your …