Book DescriptionWomen are acculturated within systems that encourage them to sabotage one another; this book shows how they can break free of this cultural programming and use whatever privilege and power they have to raise each other up.
Joy Wiggins and Kami Anderson advocate that the only way women can successfully support each other is by addressing the varying intersections of our individual power and privileges, particularly focusing on how some privileges are inherited along lines of race, class, sexuality, and geography. When we fully examine how we have power in certain situations and not in others, we start to see where we can lend privilege to create truly inclusive spaces for the historically underrepresented and marginalized.
Wiggins and Anderson look at how the dynamics of privilege and power have played out in the history of the feminist movement and identify and break down socialized behaviors and ideologies that trigger implicit bias and microaggressions. And they provide tools to interrupt negative thoughts and actions so women can nurture mutual support and show up as their authentic selves. Each chapter features a dialogue between them reflecting on how issues of race, privilege, and power have played out in their lives and their friendship.
The system of patriarchy has created an environment for women to knowingly and unknowingly sabotage each other—it is not inherent in women themselves. This book teaches us how to take an active approach to becoming better allies for each other and by so doing improve our world and end the cycle of injustice.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction The Path to Liberation
- Chapter 1 A Brief History of Feminist Movements
- Chapter 2 The Pervasive Patriarchy
- Chapter 3 The Power of Privilege
- Chapter 4 Moving Through and Within
- Chapter 5 Self-Care and the Path to Empowerment
- Chapter 6 Support for Solidarity
- Chapter 7 Support for Transformation and Liberation
- Conclusion The Gift of Support
- Appendix A: Terms to Know
- Appendix B: Women to Know
- About the Authors
- Title: From Sabotage to Support
- Release date: May 2019
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523098491