CHAPTER 5 Dealing with Faults
Learning objectives of this chapter are to understand:
• The concepts and roles of fault avoidance, fault elimination, fault tolerance, and fault forecasting.
• How to avoid the introduction of faults into a system.
• What can be done to eliminate the faults in a system.
• What can be done to tolerate the faults that remain in a system during operation.
• What can be done to forecast the effects of the faults that remain in a system during operation.
5.1 Faults and Their Treatment
Once we have done the best we can to determine the faults to which a system might be subject, we have to do something about what we found. Recall that there are four approaches to dealing with faults: avoidance, elimination ...