After reading this chapter, you should be able to
- Recite an overview history of the Medicare program since its inception in 1966, its various components, and how they affect hospitals today
- Determine how the Medicare diagnosis-related groups (DRGs) and ambulatory payment classifications (APCs) work and their impact on hospital net revenues
- Recognize the implications of Medicaid reimbursement and its impact on hospital net revenues
- Understand the implications of the 1997 Balanced Budget Act (BBA) on hospital reimbursements then and now
- Determine the implications of the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA) of 2003 on the hospital industry
- Understand the implications of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable ...