After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define the term ‘outsourcing’ in the context of the modern world economy
- Examine the different forms of outsourcing
- Understand the factors that have acted as drivers of outsourcing
- Review the factors responsible for the emergence of India as a major outsourcing destination
- Understand the contribution of the IT/ITES industry in the Indian context
PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF OUTSOURCING
The earliest examples of outsourcing may be traced to early developments in the automobile industry. In the early twentieth century, the manufacture of a T-Ford needed 700 different parts and was possible only through large-scale mass production and ...