Explore Fundamentals of Linux in a step by step manner
About This Video
- Delve into the fundamentals of Linux and learn important command-line tools and utilities.
- Practical, real-world examples that will help you get acquainted with the fundamentals of Linux
- Explore important Linux learning concepts such as virtualization, the command-line, bash shell scripts, and troubleshooting.
CentOS is a community-based enterprise class operating system focused on delivering a robust open source ecosystem. IT offers a consistent manageable platform that suits a wide variety of deployments. For open source communities, it offers a solid, predictable base to build upon, along with extensive resources to build, test, release, and maintain their code. Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution. In this course you will work through all the basic Linux and command-line concepts. You will start with how to install Linux and then learn the concepts of virtualization, how to work with VirtualBox, install CentOS 7 in VirtualBox, and connect to your VM through SSH. Then you will learn about the command-line, how to work efficiently with the shell, navigating the Linux filesystem, and creating and deleting dot files and dot directories. Then you will learn about creating user permissions and group permissions and viewing and editing files. Then you will learn what every sysadmin needs to know about the command-line, master additional programs bash shell scripts, and learn how to automate scripts. Finally you will explore more advanced command-line concepts, troubleshooting, and understanding ACL.
This course explains and teaches all the important command-line tools and utilities, using very easy to understand, real-world examples to follow along with—in short, you'll learn everything you really need to know about Linux when starting out from scratch as a new system administrator or for any other reason.
What you will learn
- Learn important command-line tools and utilities required for Linux
- Learn basic and advanced command-line concepts
- Explore how to Install Linux, work with VirtualBox, and install CentOS 7 in VirtualBox.
- Work with the command-line efficiently, learn how to navigate the Linux filesystem, and work with files.
- Learn to how to search, create file and user group permissions, and edit files
Who should take this course
If you want to learn the fundamentals of Linux from scratch, then this is the perfect course for you. This course has been designed for people without any pre-knowledge in Linux or for the absolute Linux beginner. This course is right for everyone wanting to start a job in enterprise Linux system administration. One of the most fundamental features of this course is the comprehensive information it provides.
About the author
Oliver Pelz has more than 10 years' experience as a software developer and system administrator. He graduated with a diploma degree in bioinformatics and is currently working at the German Cancer Research center in Heidelberg, where he has authored and co-authored several scientific publications in the field of Bioinformatics. As well as developing web applications and biological databases for his department and scientists all over the world, he administers a division-wide Linux-based datacenter and has set up two high-performance CentOS clusters for the analysis of high-throughput microscope and genome sequencing data. He loves writing code and riding his mountain bike in the Black Forest of Germany and has been an absolute Linux and open source enthusiast for many years. He has contributed to several open-source projects in the past and also worked as a reviewer on the CentOS High Performance book, Packt Publishing. He maintains an IT tech blog at www.oliverpelz.de.
About Packt Video
Packt Video publishes friendly, practical video tutorials, packed with practical skills, concepts and guidance to help you succeed with new technologies and tasks. Packt Video’s series include Learn, Hands-On, Mastering, In 7 Days, Troubleshooting, and more. Our courses cover web and software development, security and ethical hacking, data science, and other key tech topics. We exist to make cutting-edge topics accessible for all.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Installing Linux
Chapter 2 : Getting to Know the Command Line
- Working with Commands 00:08:54
- File Globbing 00:07:28
- Quoting Commands 00:05:07
- Getting Help in the Command Line 00:10:10
- Working in the Shell Efficiently 00:09:54
- Streams, Redirects, and Pipes 00:10:56
- Regular Expressions and grep 00:09:18
- The sed Command 00:07:01
- The Awk Command 00:09:55
- Navigating the Linux Filesystem 00:15:55
- Chapter 3 : It’s All About the Files
- Chapter 4 : Working with Command Line
- Chapter 5 : More Advanced Command Line and concepts
- Title: Fundamentals of Linux
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788293945