Get gaming faster with the official guide to GameMaker: Studio
GameMaker: Studio allows you to create your own games, even with zero coding experience, and GameMaker: Studio For Dummies is a complete guide to the ins and outs of the program. Create the game you've always wanted to play in record time and at a fraction of the cost of traditional game development methods. You'll have the flexibility to develop 2D games for Android, iOS, desktops, and the Web. Gain a professional perspective on this revolutionary path to game creation and publishing.
Using GameMaker: Studio may feel like play, but it's a serious tool that allows you to create, design, develop, and publish your very own games. With the push of a button, the program produces real, executable code for your very own "app store"-ready 2D game, complete and ready for market. GameMaker: Studio For Dummies provides complete and accurate information on how to create classic games and special effects, written in the characteristically easy-to-read Dummies style. Topics include:
An overview of Studio, and how to get started
The basic tools and techniques at the core of your design
Advanced techniques for more seasoned game designers
An inside look at what the premium upgrades have to offer
GameMaker: Studio makes game design 80% faster than coding for native languages, so you can take your game from concept to market in a matter of weeks. Why waste time and money doing it any other way? Whether you already have great ideas or just want to dabble, GameMaker: Studio For Dummies is the guide that will take you straight to guru status.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with GameMaker: Studio
- Chapter 1: Introducing GameMaker: Studio
- Chapter 2: Discovering GameMaker: Studio Features and Tools
Part II: Basic Tools and Techniques
- Chapter 3: Creating Events
Chapter 4: Adding Actions to Events
- How to Assign an Action to an Object
- Move Actions
- Main1 Actions
- Main2 Actions
- Control Actions
- Score Actions
- Extra Actions
- Draw Actions
Chapter 5: Working with Views
- Using Speed and Movement with Views
- Creating a Room with a View
- Using a Controller Object to Move the View
- Reaching the End of the Room
- Positioning the Score Display in a Room with a View
- Setting Object Boundaries for Rooms with Views
- Destroying Instances When They Leave a Room
- Shooting Guided Bullets in a Room with Views
- Creating Enemy Planes in a Room with Views
- Creating Patterns of Enemy Planes in a Room with Views
- Transitioning to the Next Room
- Chapter 6: Working with Time Lines
Part III: Creating Special Effects
- Chapter 7: Using Actions to Create Special Effects with Particles
- Chapter 8: Coding Special Effects with Particles
Chapter 9: Using Surfaces to Create Effects
- Understanding the Surface Function
- Creating Shadows with Surfaces
- Using Decals with Surfaces
- Lighting Effects with Surfaces
- Using Surfaces as a View
- Chapter 10: Applying Scaling
Part IV: Coding Physics, Mobile Controls, and More
- Chapter 11: Coding with GameMaker Language
Chapter 12: Using Physics
- Understanding Fixtures
- Adding Movement to an Object with Physics
- Adding Physics to Rooms
- Physics and Shooting Bullets
Chapter 13: Creating Controls for Mobile Devices
- Putting Your Game on a Mobile Device
- Adding Simple Touch Controls
- Adding Swipe Controls
- Pinching and Zooming
- Creating Analog Sticks for Mobile Devices
- Chapter 14: Saving and Loading
Part V: The Part of Tens
- Chapter 15: Ten Tips for Game Developers
Chapter 16: Ten (Or So) Frequently Asked Questions about GameMaker: Studio
- What Types of Games Can I Make with GameMaker: Studio?
- Can I Run GameMaker: Studio on a Mac?
- How Do I Recover My License Key?
- How Do I Include Advertising in My Game?
- How Do I Activate In-App Purchases?
- What’s Involved with Publishing My Game?
- When Is a New Feature Coming Out?
- Where Can I Get More Game-Making Tips and Tricks?
- About the Author
- Cheat Sheet
- More Dummies Products
- Title: GameMaker: Studio For Dummies
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): For Dummies
- ISBN: 9781118851777