Generic ideas and activities
Writing and the Role-Play Area
If planned well, a role-play area can provide an opportunity to include writing for a real purpose.
- To provide a real purpose for writing.
- To support emergent writing.
- As suggested by the theme of the role-play area
What to do
- Role-play areas can provide the excitement and stimulation that prompt children to write naturally and with purpose. They can let their imaginations go and begin to be ‘real’ writers. There are many opportunities for writing within play situations (see box on page 219).
- Ensure that there is a balance between preplanned role-play scenarios and ones that involve the children at an earlier ...