Get Fit with Apple Watch is the concise introduction to the amazing new Apple Watch. It's the first book specifically focused on the Apple Watch's most important function: health and fitness.
This book is for you if you are interested in health and are willing to make small lifestyle adjustments in order to enhance health and well-being. This book is also for you if you are a dedicated health junkie who already exercises on a regular basis and follows a healthy diet. The Apple Watch includes fitness apps that you can access right on your wrist while you are exercising, for instant feedback on how you are doing.
You will learn how to use the Watch to avoid sitting for too long, to register a healthy amount of body movement every day, and how to get the most out of more strenuous exercise activities. All fitness and exercise-related built-in apps will be covered in detail, as well as leading third party health and fitness apps that have been specifically tailored to work with the Watch.
Part I plus two appendixes give readers just what they need to know to understand all functionality of the Apple Watch to set up their Apple Watch, and what third-party apps are available (at time of publication). It's a great mini-book that will be appeal to readers who don't feel the need to buy an entire standalone introduction to the Apple Watch.
Part II (the majority of the book) clearly explains the Apple Watch's fitness and health-tracking functions, but goes well beyond this by showing readers different ways to integrate these functions into their daily lives, regular workout routines, and with their iPhone and the leading third-party health and fitness apps. Plus, there's an entire chapter devoted to the Apple Watch Research Kit, explaining the benefits of the associated medical research apps and how users can participate in these world-changing programs, should they choose to.
Veteran technology author Allen Taylor is also a participant in the Apple Watch Research Kit study in cardiovascular fitness conducted by Stanford University.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
Part I: Apple Watch Basic Facts
- Chapter 1: Common Features
Chapter 2: The Collections
- The Three Collections
- The Apple Watch Collection
- The Apple Watch Sport Collection
- The Apple Watch Edition Collection
- Apple Watch Functions That Require an iPhone
- Chapter 3: Operating the Apple Watch
- Chapter 4: Running the Built-in Apps
Part II: The Apple Watch in Health & Fitness
- Chapter 5: Keeping Active with the Activity App
Chapter 6: Building Strength and Endurance with the Workout App
- Before Starting Any Workout Program
- How Your Progress Is Tracked
- Supported Workouts
- How the Workout App Works
- Setting Workout Goals
- Tracking Progress with the iPhone Health App
- Setting New Goals
- Chapter 7: Using the Apple Watch with the iPhone Health App
- Chapter 8: The ResearchKit Health Projects
Chapter 9: Third-Party Health and Fitness Apps
- Nike+ Running
- Runtastic Six Pack
Chapter 10: What Could Be Improved?
- Increase Battery Life
- Incorporate GPS into Apple Watch
- Connect Directly to the Internet, Regardless of Where You Are
- Incorporate Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Incorporate Oxygen Saturation Testing
- Activity App Algorithm Improvements
- Add More Sports to Those Tracked by the Workout App
- Appendix A: Setting Up Your Apple Watch
- Title: Get Fit with Apple Watch: Using the Apple Watch for Health and Fitness
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484212813