Going further – C MEX S-functions
Now we'll learn how to develop a custom S-function block using the C language. A basic knowledge of the C syntax is required.
The C language offers some advantages over MATLAB's scripting language:
- It is the most-used language to develop (hard) real-time systems
- It is one of the most popular languages, if not the most popular
- C executables offer unparalleled performance with respect to MATLAB scripts
- C S-functions can be developed without having MATLAB installed (but you'd still need the external headers and libraries)
- Legacy C code can be easily ported to S-function blocks and used in Simulink
- C++ compilers can be used, giving access to some powerful C++ frameworks like Qt
C MEX S-functions are programmed in C/C++ and ...