This practical guide to SBT will make your next large-scale Scala or Java project a lot more speedy and manageable. Familiarize yourself quickly and easily with the features and configuration of this powerful build tool.
- Establish simple and complex projects quickly
- Employ Scala code to define the build
- Write build definitions that are easy to update and maintain
- Customize and configure SBT for your project, without changing your project’s existing structure
Build tools are a boon to developers working on large projects. With the configuration to run/execute the project moved out, developers can focus more on the project. SBT is a build tool designed for Scala and Java projects. It provides developers with a high productivity work environment hence it comes in really handy when dealing with large projects.
Getting Started with SBT for Scala gets you going with using SBT and also introduces its advanced concepts. SBT is a build tool that uses a Scala-based DSL. Additionally, SBT has some interesting features that come in handy during development, such as starting a Scala REPL with project classes and dependencies on the classpath, continuous compilation and testing with triggered execution, and much more.
Getting Started with SBT for Scala introduces SBT and its various features. It shows how to set up the build definition for a Scala project using sample code to explain different scenarios and use cases. It explains the basic configuration required to compile, test, and run a project using SBT. We will take a look at the additional configuration and settings that can be set to suit the project requirements. You will also learn how to handle project dependencies in SBT and use Scala files to define the build. It shows how to fork the JVM in SBT for different processes and specific configurations. It also explains the intricacies of the build definition, parallel execution.
This book will make you familiar with SBT so that you can use it for different kinds of projects like simple, and multiple modules which can be dependent or independent.
Table of contents
Getting Started with SBT for Scala
- Table of Contents
- Getting Started with SBT for Scala
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Hello World with SBT
- 2. .sbt Build Definitions
3. Dependency Management
- Quick introduction to Maven or Ivy dependency management
- Dependency management in SBT
- 4. Full Build Definitions
- 5. Compile, Test, and Run
- Title: Getting Started with SBT for Scala
- Release date: September 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783282678