Harness the power of scripting in Unity 4 to build great games
About This Video
A great resource for anyone new to Unity 4 scripting
Clear step-by-step explanations for each line of code
Create custom components that interact with Unity's game engine components
Enhance your game with an easy-to-use and extendable input system that works on leading game platforms
Create a cool custom GUI for your game
Accompanied with finished assets, scripts, and tips for programming in Unity
Create fantastic projects in Unity without any fuss; learn how to set up a basic project and build on it to utilize the Unity game engine's full potential, using custom scripts and graphical feedback (Gizmos) to create extraordinary games easily.
Getting Started with Unity 4 Scripting will explain everything that you need to know; from the basics of the Unity game engine, through to how the component system and Input Manager works. Learn how to create a custom GUI and set up basic AI pathfinding systems, and progressively cover more advanced topics such as inter-communication between the different languages that the Unity game engine supports.
With this video course, you will learn about render loops and basic entry point functions that the Unity engine exposes, followed by the component system, Input system, Gizmos, character controllers, and GUI Scripting. This video course culminates by teaching you about the AI system and the script compilation orders that the Unity game engine provides, as well as all the basic components that comprise a good game.
Learn everything you need to know about how scripting in Unity works; everything from exposing variables in scripts, entry point functions, render loops, and colliders, including how to make them work, to an in-depth introduction of the component system and its intricacies. Discover how to add, remove, and create custom components, as well as about the anatomy of the Input, GUI, and Gizmos system, how they work, and how they behave in tandem.
By the end of this course, you'll be knowledgeable enough to create any basic game by harnessing the power of Unity.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Render Loops and Basic Entry Point Functions
- Chapter 2 : Components – Adding, Removing, Accessing
Chapter 3 : Input in Unity
- Input Manager Overview 00:02:56
- Connecting the Input Manager with Scripting 00:03:12
- Axis, Keys and Their Differences 00:03:08
- Dissecting Specific Key Presses – Up / Down / Stay 00:03:05
- Mouse Input 00:03:23
- Chpater 4 : Gizmos and Their Usefulness in Your Game
- Chapter 5 : Character Controller
- Chapter 6 : GUI Scripting
- Chapter 7 : Pathfinding and AI
- Chapter 8 : Script Compilation Order and Mixing Languages in Unity
- Title: Getting Started with Unity 4 Scripting
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849696128