9. Growing an Audience
The question I’m asked more than any other question is how did I get such a big following on Twitter (and then Google+). Most times, people ask this question expecting some kind of software involvement, or some tool, or some formula. The best I can offer is a kind of formula:
• Share interesting and useful information.
• Share information that’s more about your audience than it is about you.
• Share more about other people than you share about yourself.
• Promote others more than you promote yourself.
• Comment as often as you can on other people’s posts.
• Comment as often as you can on people’s comments on your posts.
If you stop reading now, you’d know what I know about growing an audience. Only, I owe lots of words ...