Planning and Preparation
In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Describe the different aspects of planning for a penetration test
• Differentiate between major penetration testing types and methodologies
• Define scope based on the type of penetration test and your client’s areas of concern
• Communicate with your client to define the rules of engagement
• Properly document all aspects of pre-engagement activities
Proper planning and preparation for an upcoming penetration test is arguably the most important aspect of the entire engagement. A full penetration testing engagement consists of three phases: pre-engagement, active testing, and reporting. This chapter will focus on the planning, or pre-engagement, phase of ...