11 Be a People Person: A Crash Course and Self-Help Guide

DOI: 10.4324/9781003260387-13

Believe It or Not?

How important are people skills in getting a job, keeping it, and getting promoted? According to the Stanford Research Institute, 15 percent of the reason you get a job and keep it has to do with technical knowledge and skills. On the other hand, 85 percent of the reason you get a job, keep it, and move up in the organization is people skills and people knowledge.

A strong set of must-know people skills will empower you to create awesome relationships with those around you, enabling you to achieve a high degree of success in anything you do. Ask chief executive officers (CEOs) of Fortune 500 companies their #1 consideration in hiring/promoting ...

Get GPS for Success now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from nearly 200 publishers.