Implement background services into Android Apps
About This Video
- A comprehensive guide to building powerful background capabilities into Android apps.
- Covers the latest techniques and code examples of Android.
- Delve into using Android's background service capabilities effectively.
This course helps developers who want to build applications working in the background, by exposing you to using Android Background Service capabilities effectively. Services come out as the best option with backward app compatibility.
You will learn a variety of topics like starting and stopping your service, interacting with the background service and creating and sending a work request, exploring the lifecycle of your service along with understanding the security issues in using it. You will learn to use IntentService, which utilizes a worker or background thread to execute tasks. You will explore what's new in the Background Service in Android Oreo and check out its limitations, and then overcome those limitations. You will then learn best practices and how to deal with problems and issues that might arise
By the end of the course, you will have a strong foundation in background services in Android and will be able to build the function you need to ensure you won't drain the battery excessively, compromise the user's security, consume too much data, or hamper the device's performance.
All the code and supporting materials for this course can be found at- https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Hands-on-Background-Services-in-Android
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Exploring Background Service in Practical Apps
- The Course Overview 00:06:37
- Exploring Android Components 00:02:36
- Exploring Activity, Broadcast Receiver, and Content Provider 00:09:19
- Introduction to Service 00:05:11
- Types of Service 00:04:52
- Foreground Versus Background Service 00:09:59
- Understanding Threads and Processes 00:06:43
- Different Ways to Perform Background Operations 00:02:48
- Chapter 2 : Creating a Background Service
Chapter 3 : Working with IntentService That Uses Worker Thread
- Why IntentService? 00:06:19
- Performing Operations Using IntentService in a Worker Thread 00:09:34
- Started Service Versus IntentService 00:02:27
- Chapter 4 : Interacting with Background Service
- Chapter 5 : Exploring the Lifecycle of a Service
Chapter 6 : Background Service Limitations and Work Around
- What’s New for Background Execution in Android Oreo 00:08:31
- Background Service Limitation 00:11:23
- Work Around – JobIntentService 00:04:14
- Demo – JobIntentService 00:11:55
- Chapter 7 : Troubleshooting Background Service
- Title: Hands-on Background Services in Android
- Release date: April 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788993807