If you have a mission critical application that needs to be up and running 24/7 and each outage would cost you a lot of money and reputation then it is important that you have the right tools and processes in place to handle this requirement. Docker allow you to package the many application services that are part of your distributed application into self contained standard packages called containers. With the tool docker-compose developers can then run, scale, test and debug the application, simulating a production like environment on their development workstations.
This course shows you how Docker can be used to isolate your application services and their dependencies into a single self-contained unit that can reliably run anywhere. You will learn to build, ship and run distributed applications on any platform using Kubernetes as the orchestrator.
With Docker containers, your applications can run smoothly without you worrying about the environment where they run. This aids in improved security, better scalability, resilience and fault-tolerance, making life easier for developers and operators alike who need a standardized deployment and operations model.
By the end of this course you will be able to use Docker and Kubernetes to build distributed applications that are scalable, resilient, fault tolerant and secure. Furthermore you will be able to deploy these applications to any Kubernetes cluster running on any platform on premise or in the cloud.
What You Will Learn
- Build resilient, scalable and highly available distributed applications running on any platform on premise or in the cloud.
- Secure your distributed applications by using container’s built in security features and Kubernetes secrets to protect confidential data such as passwords and certificates.
- Monitor and troubleshoot your application running in production and allow the application to self heal.
- Update any service of your application at any time without causing downtime using rolling updates, blue-green deployments or canary releases.
- Avoid cascading failures in your highly distributed application by anticipating failure and coding defensively.
- Use Docker Compose to simulate a production like environment on your personal development laptop or workstation.
- Develop, test and debug code while it is running inside a container.
This video course is for experienced DevOps and software engineers who want to use Docker and Kubernetes to solve many of the hard problems they run into with distributed applications. If you want to keep track of all you application components, orchestrate and administrate them in a consistent way, then you've come to the right place.
About The Author
Dr. Gabriel N. Schenker: Gabriel N. Schenker has more than 25 years of experience as an independent consultant, architect, leader, trainer, mentor, and developer. Currently, Gabriel works as Lead Solution Architect at Techgroup Switzerland. Prior to that, Gabriel worked as Lead Curriculum Developer at Docker and at Confluent. Gabriel has a Ph.D. in Physics, and he is a Docker Captain, a Certified Docker Associate, a Certified Kafka Developer and Operator, and an ASP Insider. When not working, Gabriel enjoys time with his wonderful wife Veronicah and his children.
Table of contents
Chapter 1 : Containerizing a Distributed Application
- Course Overview
- Introduction to the sample application
- Authoring a Dockerfile for Each Application Service
- Develop, Test and Debug a Service Running in a Container
- Minimizing Docker Images Using Multi-Stage Docker Builds
- Using Docker Compose to Run and Troubleshoot Our Distributed Application Locally
- Chapter 2 : Dealing with Persistent State
- Chapter 3 : Securing Your Distributed Applications
- Chapter 4 : Building Resilient and Scalable Services
- Chapter 5 : Preparing Production Deployments
- Title: Hands-On Kubernetes and Docker for Distributed Applications
- Release date: January 2019
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788994033
You might also like
Docker in Motion
Docker in Motion teaches you how to create and manage container-hosted applications in Docker. With over …
Automated Machine Learning on AWS
Automate the process of building, training, and deploying machine learning applications to production with AWS solutions …
Modern Container-Based DevOps: Managing Microservices using Kubernetes and Docker
p> 8+ Hours of Video Instruction Modern Container-Based DevOps LiveLessons: Managing Microservices using Kubernetes and Docker …
Introduction to Kubernetes
If your company is about to embrace containers and develop microservices-type applications, this course will get …