In this chapter, we will secure an MQTT 3.1.1 Mosquitto server. We will make all the configurations required to work with digital certificates to encrypt all the data sent between MQTT clients and the server. We will use TLS and we will learn to work with client certificates for each MQTT client. We will also learn to force the desired TLS protocol version. We will gain an understanding of the following:
- The importance of securing a Mosquitto server
- Generating a private certificate authority to use TLS with Mosquitto
- Creating a certificate for the Mosquitto server
- Configuring TLS transport security in Mosquitto
- Testing the MQTT TLS configuration with command-line tools
- Testing the MQTT TLS configuration ...